Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why I run...or don't run sometimes.

We run for all different reasons. Some of us run to keep our hearts beating.  Others run for the scenery.  Me? Mostly, I run towards niceness. Runners tend to be nice people. They care about their hearts. They tend to keep the scenery clean.  They are people who pound out their psychic garbage with their feet not their fists or tongues.

So I couldn't have been happier last Sunday when I turned the corner into the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail parking lot in Chelmsford Center to find so many nice people.  It was a perfect example of why I run, even if I wasn't running.  Sunday, January 8th was the 13th No Bananas 5k.  It was the biggest one yet. It was a bit embarrassing to greet all these new and old friends in jeans.  I ended up taking last weekend off due to some really sore hips. I've decided to sideline myself for the entire month of January and see how things go.  Even though I was sad not to run, I couldn't help but feel awesome energy from the other 28 runners and walkers. 

Here are the ones who made it to the 8:30 start.


Who were all these nice people who joined me?

Some were brand new friends. When I asked Tim and Heather how they heard about the race, Tim said he read it on Twitter.  I hope I didn't scare this great couple off with my howl.

Some of my old teaching buddies showed up who swore they weren' t going to miss another No Bananas race in the new year.  And a current colleague brought all his people with him and swore they will be running the entire thing come January 2013.  Another new No Bananas runner coincidentally met a boatload of her new Middlesex colleagues at the race.  


Of course the nice and naughty E Streeters joined us.  They brought the ones they love most.  Nice people tend to have nice families.




Even my book club/church friends walked on this great public trail and one of my morning running partners hit her stride on this beautiful morning.


Finally, the King of Nice, Mr. Mike Gilmore kindly slowed down so as to pace Jonathan toward the finish.  Find me a sport where good conversation beats out making records (even if it is only No Bananas) and I'll hang up my running shoes for good.

Why do I run?  I run because what other sport could find me outside on a January morning when there isn't any snow?  It was awfully nice to find so many friends around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds great. What a great feeling that must have been to see all those people! Hope your injury heals quickly and completely and that you're able to be back out there in February!

    ReplyDelete